torsdag 2 februari 2012

My review of "Moneyball"


Now I admit I don't know much about baseball, but I don't have anything against it... It's just, growing up in Europe, you don't get much of it... Althought that doesn't mean this movie is directed toward US audiences only... I personally love Brad Pitt but I think this movie should have had a lower budget than it actually did... But it's great to see Brad Pitt producing as well.

It's the true story about Billy Beane, the general manager of the Oakland A's and Peter Brand (Paul DePodesta in real life). They figure out how to put together a team on a lower budget based on computer-generated analysis. It's incredibly well written, all thanks to the brilliant Steven Zaillian, Stan Chervin and Aaron Sorkin of course.. Director Bennett Miller is also one to look out for, he previously directed "Capote" and it's nice to see him work with Philip Seymour Hoffman again. Miller is a very interesting director who seems to choose his projects very carefully, much respect to him for that.

Jonah Hill is great but I wouldn't call him spectacular in the film, although he's a good guy and I wish him all the best at the Academy Awards. I also want to acknowledge an actor by the name of Reed Thompson who plays the younger version of Brad Pitt's character, Billy Beane. This is his second film and I'm sure he'll become a big name in the future, very likeable on screen. Also much praise to Kerris Dorsey who plays the daughter in the film, her singing really lifts the film as well. Keep your eyes open for director Spike Jonze who makes a cameo as the partner of Billy Beane's ex-wife.

Now for the main question, does Brad Pitt deserve the Oscar nomination? I say Yes. His acting is very subtle in the film, don't expect to see very emotional acting. But Brad Pitt's acting is just that, it's not bad, it's... the perfect amount of acting, not too much power or emotions thrown into the whole thing. The ending is one of the finest endings I think I've ever seen, it's flawless, the song just literally describes the whole film and the story you've seen on screen, perfectly closed of with Brad Pitt's teary eye to the vocals of Kerris Dorsey.. But I can't help thinking it's a little dragged out... especially when most of the film is dialogue but it's all such fine dialogue that I never got bored...

However I personally, think it isn't spectacular enough to be called the movie of the year... However it is really good but it's not a movie for everyone to enjoy, especially if you don't like baseball. But do know that it's much more than just baseball... It's worth checking out, if you want something with real mind to it, rather than the same old big budget action films with cheesy lines and big explosions.

My rating: 7,5/10


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar