onsdag 8 februari 2012

My review of "Kung Fu Panda 2"


Alright, is it just me, or am I the only one who thinks that this sequel is much better than the first film?

Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate the first film, I just thought it was a little empty. Oh well, maybe I just don't remember it very well. I remember however that this film brought me more laughs than the first one.. I love that this is directed by a woman, Jennifer Yuh. I personally would love Hollywood to give more chances to women. There simply aren't enough female directors in Hollywood.

I just feel as if this film is more action packed, more lovable. We finally get to see "Po" the panda as a baby! However the plot is focused on a villian peacock by the name of "Shen" who plans to conquer China with a big deadly weapon. A peacock as villain is a little questionable but understandable later on as he's suppose to have some feelings too. Though, it is a movie for children after all. AMAZING voice work by Gary Oldman as "Shen".

It's very cool to see all of the original cast back in the sequel but there are also some new voices, Dennis Haysbert as "Master Storming Ox", Michelle Yeoh as "Soothsayer", Danny McBride as "Wolf Boss", Victor Garber as "Master Thundering Rhino" and the biggest disappointment of all, Jean-Claude Van Damme as "Master Croc". He says what, two lines in the whole film? Very underused in the film... unfortunately. The "Kung Fu Panda" series probably has the greatest cast ever though..

I saw this film in 2-D but I can imagine this film being much cooler and even better in 3-D!

This film will bring the child out of you but will at the same time make the grown up in you somewhat emotional! However, even though this film is nominated for an Oscar in the category "Best Animated Feature Film of the Year" I can't help but think that this is still one of the weakest in that category. The only one I haven't seen is "Puss in Boots" but I liked the other ones more than "Kung Fu Panda 2". Maybe because I have a thing against sequels... I just feel as if making a sequel is "cheating" in a way. It's basically taking an idea and milking it, dragging it out. Basically you already have an idea of a big part of the movie. It's very rare for me to like all the characters so much in a film that I want a sequel.

Although, I still think it's very enjoyable and I do recommend it!

My rating: 7/10

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar