onsdag 8 februari 2012

My review of "Albert Nobbs"


What a remarkable little film! Very happy that it got nominated for three Academy Awards. The first goes to Glenn Close in the category "Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role" and my god she plays it brilliantly! She plays a woman disguised as a man in order to work and survive in Ireland. The movie is set in the 19th century and her dream is to open up a little shop. How does a woman play a man? Well, most women would just do the darkest voice they could possible come up with. Glenn Close does not. She does it "just enough". Obviously you can hear she's a woman but it's not all about the voice, she captures the gestures quite brilliantly. She also plays someone who is a little awkward with people. So, are you getting this? Glenn Close plays a woman, who plays a man who has to play someone who's put in an uncomfortable situation. Very worthy Oscar nomination for Glenn Close and I couldn't be happier for her! She plays it so very well indeed but she also co-wrote the screenplay, produced the film as well as wrote the original song for the film! She also caught pneumonia while doing this film.. So talk about real passion and commitment to a film... Just the way I like it! The song by the way, is entitled "Lay your head down" and is sung by Sinead O'Connor, it was immensely snubbed by the Academy Award. Have a listen, you'll fall in love with it. My favorite song of the year in a film.

The second nomination went to Janet McTeer for "Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role". Personally, I think Glenn Close was much better but that does not mean I don't think Janet McTeer deserves her nomination. But then again, how do you compete with a five time Oscar nominee like Glenn Close? I am now officially a Janet McTeer fan. She was previously nominated for an Academy Award in 1999 for "Tumbleweeds". She's in for rough competition this year, however that seems to be the case most times with the "heavy" categories. If she won though, I would jump with joy!

It is also nominated for "Best Achievement in Makeup". Obviously the makeup is amazing. I certainly hope the film will win in at least one of the categories. "The Iron Lady" is tough competitor although I personally think the makeup for this film is much better. I wouldn't mind this film being nominated for "Best Picture of the Year" as well.

The more I think about it, the more I love this film. Other great performances by Brendan Gleeson, Aaron Johnson, Mia Wasikowska and a smaller role by the always great Jonathan Rhys Meyers!

The rating on IMDB is absolutely fucking pathetic. It deserves much better! It's a shame it didn't earn much at the box office either... It's quite low budget, 8 million dollars. Yes, it's hilarious that below 15 million dollars is considered "low budget" but quite understandable when so many actors get bigger pay checks than most "low budget" films cost to produce.

This is easily one of those films that simply NEEDS to be seen. It needs to be supported! I personally loved it but I can understand people who may not be very fond of this film. It's quite an unconventional story, but different is beautiful. For the love of god, be a little open! Try new and different kind of films... A pleasant surprise!

My rating: 7,9/10

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar