måndag 6 februari 2012

My review of "The Ides of March"


First of all, this movie has one of the smartest and coolest movie posters I think I've ever seen. Now on to the movie. It is directed by George Clooney, who also stars in it and wrote it along with Grant Heslov and Beau Willimon. I must say I loved this movie! This just proves what a talent George Clooney can be, off camera as well... I think it's easily one of the greatest films of 2011. But I'm sure people have split opinions on this film because of it's political content. I'm not a democrat, I'm not a republican, I just do not support any side. I don't support politics. I just think there's no winning in politics. You gotta give this film a lot of credits for being able to turn the play into such a great movie. And then there's the amazing cast, besides George Clooney there's one of my favorite actors, Ryan Gosling and then we have Paul Giamatti, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Evan Rachel Wood, Marisa Tomei, Jeffrey Wright and more.

This movie is based on the play "Farragut North" and is about dirty politics, yes, one of those films.. but this one is actually quite smart. It's a story about democrats vs. republicans and them using all the dirty ways to beat each other in the final stages of the presidential campaign.

It's also very well acted, thanks to all the amazing people involved in it. Ryan Gosling is easily, for me, the greatest thing about this film and after him comes Evan Rachel Wood, so beautiful, so talented. There's really not much negative things to say about this movie.. I hate politics and politicians with all my heart, maybe that's why I enjoyed this movie? Seeing politicians in a hot mess brought me great satisfaction it seems.

This films is nominated for an Academy Award in the category "Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published" and though it has rough competition it should not be excluded. I'd say it has a pretty good chance.

The film is quite exciting but might be predictable to some right away, especially if you watch the trailer... So it's your choice if you want to see the trailer, if you haven't already... But the somewhat predictable story is saved by the sharp writing and brilliant acting, though don't underestimate the film, it may leave you with some unexpected twists and turns..

My rating: 8,2/10

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar