måndag 20 februari 2012

My review of "The Artist"


This is one of those films that is just absolutely flawless, at least that's my opinion. It's the perfect lenght too, 100 minutes, so people can't say it's boring or too "dragged out". Although the 100 minutes feel like half an hour. I've been wanting to see this film ever since I heard about it and saw the trailer, more than a year ago. I have to give the Weinstein brothers some credit for distributing this film... The whole concept of the film is a big risk.. it's either a win or lose film but turns out this movie is more than a winner, more than an absolute homerun...

It's the story about silent movie star George Valentin who happens to meet a young struggling actress by the name of Peppy Miller. The rest is history...

You just have to sit back and relax, just watch the movie and keep in mind that this is the kind of movie you'll never ever be able to see again in the future. It has got to be one of the most unique films you'll ever see, especially at the cinemas. Years from now, you'll be able to tell your kids that you've seen a silent film at the cinemas. I personally will cherish this experience for the rest of my life.

It is nominated for a whooping 10 Oscars! Something for once, I will not argue with..

The directing by Michel Hazanavicius is awesome. An interesting thing about this movie and his directing is that there's not one single zoom made in this movie. He claims he stood by this because in the older films the zoom technology had not been invented yet.

Now on to the actors, ah, the flawless acting...

Jean Dujardin. Nominated for an Oscar in the category "Best Actor in a Leading Role". I haven't seen a more charming personality on screen for as long as I can remember... you have to keep in mind that these actors only have their facial expressions to work with if they can't use their voices.. He does it brilliantly, when he smiles, you feel his joy, when he's sad, you feel his pain etc. Jean Dujardin SHOULD and WILL win his Oscar! I'll be damned if he doesn't win... I'll be silent for a month as a protest.

Bérénice Bejo. Nominated in the category of "Best Actress in a Supporting Role". What a beautiful human being. So damn adorable and an amazing actress. She too deserves her Academy Award nomination and would be my pick, however she's in some very rough competition, but in the "actor categories" you usually are in for a rough ride. AMAZING. She's married to the director and has two children with him. However don't think she was picked for this film simply because of her relationship to the director, she's incredibly good. Don't judge in prior to have watched the film...

Uggie. Uggie the dog did most of the scenes in "The Artist" but two different dogs were also used. This dog is the cutest dog I've seen in a film in a very long time... I want a jack russell dog. He's a real scene stealer in the film. You'll love him...

Also I was surprised at how many big names were involved in this film... John Goodman, James Cromwell, Penelope Ann Miller, Malcolm McDowell and more! Also be on the lookout for a great cameo by Ken Davitian, the fat bloke in "Borat".

I think a lot of people love this movie because it's so damn different. But different in a good way, which makes it unique. Or maybe it's because you've always wanted to live in that day and age?

I can keep on writing a whole page about this film.. just watch this movie, it is pure magic. Support this film, don't download it or anything like that. It deserves every penny. It's one of the best films I've ever seen... and I've seen about 5000 films in my lifetime.

If you are a movie lover, see this film. If you want to become an actor or an actress, see this film. There's no way around it... everyone should have a solid reason for wanting to see it.

My rating: 11/10 (Yes, that's correct, you are not intoxicated)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar